30 January 2012

New Rock-It Radio Shows

Having an unpleasant task to do today, involving a long-delayed cleaning duty, I stocked up with  MP3 downloads of Rock-It Radio shows to make the time pass more agreeably. I've already written about Clarke Davis' show celebrating the prelapsarian pop, rock'n'roll and soul of 1963, but today I was particularly struck by - and grateful for - an edition of Denny McConnell's Music of Your Mind show, numbered #3994 - uploaded here on the 29th January, so it will be available for a while. Unlike some other Rock-It shows, nothing particularly rare but a very high quotient of doo wop records which I had loved for a long time. There isn't a tracklist on the website yet but if you haven't dipped your toe into the chilly waters of doo wop yet it could be a good place to start.

And for those wishing to hear the music of the late Johnny Otis, there are two separate shows commemorating his music currently on Rock-It - I don't imagine he will feature on Radio 2 over the following week, somehow. And where else would I have found out that his recording of Harlem Nocturne was a standard arrangement, as recorded earlier by Ray Noble, only speeded up a little by Otis?

Although I've mentioned Rock-It from time to time in this blog, I don't think I've been vocal enough in my appreciation. Do check it out if you like fifties/early sixties music, as you will find a huge amount to entertain you. There is merchandise you can buy on the website or you can buy good quality CDs of the shows - the downloads are pretty lo-fi, although for me that's part of the charm.


Postscript:

I didn't mean chilly, did I? I meant murky. Sonic murk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statcounter